Skip to Content
Gille Kaye Law Group, PC Gille Kaye Law Group, PC
Call to Request a Confidential Consultation 626-340-0955

When to Ask for Alimony or Spousal Support in a Divorce


When you are going through a divorce, you can probably expect big changes in all facets of your day-to-day life. Perhaps most noticeably, your financial situation is going to be different, especially if you earned noticeably less income than your ex-spouse.

You might find money is short in unexpected ways. The groceries you usually get in a given week may suddenly be more expensive than you can manage. Utility bills may pile up, and you might have to find ways to mitigate them, such as a repayment or financing plan. When everything is considered, you may be pressed with financial burdens with no relief in sight.

At that point, or if you just anticipate reaching that point, you should consider how spousal support can help you. California divorce courts are supposed to ensure neither spouse is placed into undue hardship after their divorce finalizes. When there is a clear misbalance in incomes and finances between two divorcing spouses, the court will order alimony or spousal support. Each month, the spouse who earned the higher income will provide an amount of spousal support to the other, either until the alimony ends or until significant financial changes occur.

Can You Ask for Alimony?

What are you to do if there is not a noticeable difference between incomes but you are concerned you will still hit financial hardship after your divorce? Many people make a similar amount of income compared to their spouse but still need alimony due to debts and various financial obligations. Can you actually ask for alimony directly to help bridge the gap in this situation?

You always have the option to work things out with your ex-spouse outside of the courtroom. If you are splitting amicably, you might be able to agree on an unofficial spousal support plan for the next year or so while you rearrange your finances. Of course, it is always better to put things in writing, especially when it is about something as important as financial stability. You can work with an attorney to come up with an agreement you can both work on together and bring to court for final approval.

At Gille Kaye Law Group, PC, we provide compassionate and experienced family law representation and guidance to the people of Pasadena. If you are worried about alimony not being enough, or not being rewarded at all in your divorce, you can come to our law firm to decide what you should do next to set things right. Our attorneys, led by Board Certified Family Law Specialist Christine Gille, have seen so many high-stakes and complicated alimony cases like yours, so we are confident we can reach a solution that works well for you.

Would you like to know more? Contact us today. We look forward to hearing from you.

Share To: