Call to Request a Confidential Consultation

Grandparents' Rights

Our specialists help individuals and families throughout Los Angeles County with complex family law issues.

Pasadena Grandparents' Rights Lawyers

Helping Families in the Greater Los Angeles Area

Grandparent rights in California are complex, and grandparents often find themselves at odds with their children and grandchildren when it comes to decisions concerning the children. When grandparents feel that their rights are being ignored, they may wish to take legal action to seek access to their grandchildren. At Gille Kaye Law Group, PC, we understand the importance of family relationships, and we work diligently to help grandparents obtain access to their grandchildren, while ensuring that the children's best interests are met.

What Are Grandparent Rights in California?

Under California law, grandparents have the same rights as parents when it comes to making decisions concerning their grandchildren. However, this is subject to two important limitations. First, the court will not grant grandparents legal or physical custody of the child if it would not be in the child's best interests. Second, grandparents' rights are subject to the same limitations as parents' rights, such as where the parents have granted temporary or permanent custody of the child to someone else.

How Can I Get Visitation with My Grandchildren?

When a grandparent wishes to obtain visitation with his or her grandchildren, the first step is to attempt to communicate with the parents to resolve the issue. If the parents are amenable to granting visitation, the issue can be resolved without going to court. If the parents are unwilling to grant visitation, the grandparents may file a petition with the family law court, seeking visitation with the grandchildren.

How Can a Grandparent Obtain Visitation?

If a grandparent wishes to obtain visitation with his or her grandchildren, he or she must demonstrate that it would be in the best interests of the children. The court will consider many factors when determining whether or not to grant visitation, including:

  • The relationship between the child and the grandparent
  • The amount of time the child spends with the grandparent
  • The age of the child
  • The child's adjustment to home, school, and community
  • The child's reasonable preference
  • The mental and physical health of all individuals involved
  • The child's need for a stable environment
  • Whether the parent is willing to cooperate with the grandparent's request
  • Whether the grandparent's behavior has been responsible or irresponsible
  • Whether the parent's behavior has been responsible or irresponsible

In order to protect the child's best interests, the court will not grant visitation to a grandparent if doing so would pose a significant risk to the child's safety or health. Additionally, the court will not grant visitation to a grandparent if doing so would significantly interfere with the parent's custodial rights.

Contact a Grandparents' Rights Attorney

If you are a grandparent who wishes to obtain visitation with your grandchildren, or if you are a parent who would like to limit your children's time with their grandparents, you will benefit from the counsel of a Pasadena grandparents' rights lawyer. At Gille Kaye Law Group, PC, we are committed to helping clients resolve family law issues in a cost-effective manner. We offer affordable rates and flexible payment options.

To schedule a consultation, call our Pasadena office at (626) 340-0955 or contact us online. We serve clients in the Greater Los Angeles Area.


Benefits of Retaining Our Firm:

  • Decades of winning legal experience
  • Expert counsel from a Board Certified Family Law Specialist
  • A rating of 10 "Excellent" on Avvo
  • Hands-on care from the outset of every case
More Reasons to Choose Us