Call to Request a Confidential Consultation

How You Can Enforce Child Support Orders in Pasadena, California

When a divorce or family law court creates or approves a child support order, it needs to be seen as law for the spouse ordered to make the payments. However, just as laws are only words on paper until action is taken, so is a child support order. Many dishonest ex-spouses take advantage of this fact and intentionally try to skip child support payments, or refuse to pay any child support at all.

What are you supposed to do if your ex-spouse is not paying you much needed child support? Thankfully, you do have choices to try to enforce a child support order in California. Police officers can help you enforce laws against offenders, and attorneys can help you enforce court orders against offending ex-spouses.

Different Ways to Enforce Your Child Support Order

With a lawyer on your side, you can start talking about what you can and should do to get the child support you deserve. After all, your child support is there to help you pay for your child’s necessities. Not receiving it could be detrimental to their happiness and development.

You can ask a family law court to do the following:

  • Withhold wages: The most common and the most effective solution is an “Income Withholding Order.” In short, an income withholding order acts like a wage garnishment on the paychecks of the parent who has been ordered to pay child support but stopped. Every paycheck, the order subtracts the required amount and pays it to the State, which then forwards that money to you.
  • Hold in contempt: Defying a court order knowingly is a crime, even if it is a family law court order. You can ask the court to hold the other parent in contempt. This can “scare them straight” into making the required payments. Although, this option is rarely used since it usually only makes it more difficult for the paying parent to make new payments if they were honestly struggling financially to make your payments.
  • Suspended license: With the guidance of your lawyer, you can ask the court to contact the California Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) for assistance. The DMV can refuse license renewals, or even suspend or revoke the license altogether when payments are more than 4-months late.

Which Enforcement Option is Right for You?

As it can be seen, you may have a selection of enforcement options when your ex-spouse stops paying child support. Determining the most effective and efficient path for your unique situation can be stress-free if you work with Gille Kaye Law Group, PC and our Pasadena attorneys. Lead Attorney Christine Gille is a Certified Family Law Specialist with a background in finance. With her guidance, you can be confident that your future will be brighter and your child will be well cared for thanks to deserved child support being gathered through enforcement.

Contact Gille Kaye Law Group, PC today to request a confidential consultation.


Benefits of Retaining Our Firm:

  • Decades of winning legal experience
  • Expert counsel from a Board Certified Family Law Specialist
  • A rating of 10 "Excellent" on Avvo
  • Hands-on care from the outset of every case
More Reasons to Choose Us