Pasadena Domestic Violence Lawyer
California takes domestic violence cases seriously and as a victim, you can seek help. All too often, spousal abuse and child abuse cases go unreported and the victims suffer without pursuing relief. This can happen due to a fear of retaliation by the abuser or for a variety of other reasons. If you are filing for domestic violence restraining orders in connection with a custody or divorce case, Gille Kaye Law Group, PC can help. We are prepared to take the steps to ensure your safety. Our clients come first and we do all that we can to help.
How Can I Get Help?
When you are hurting and afraid, when you are keeping secrets about the violence in your home, you wonder whether anyone can help. We know you may be worried about making the right choices. You may be asking "what will I do now that I want to leave the abuse? What will I do for money? How will I protect myself? How will I protect the children?" At Gille Kaye Law Group, PC, we have long understood the physical and emotional injuries of abuse victims. We will fight for your right to live a safe and happy life away from the pain.
Immediately after a domestic abuse incident, take the following steps:
- Remove yourself from immediate danger
- Call the police and seek Emergency Protective Orders immediately.
- Go to the emergency room or doctor's office for any necessary medical treatment.
- File for temporary restraining orders, which last until the noticed hearing.
- Take clear pictures of fresh bruises, cuts, etc.
- Save threatening text messages, voicemails, emails, letters, social media and other messages from the abuser.
- Show the injuries to potential witnesses.
- Seek out eye-witnesses to the abuse.
Witnesses, pictures, messages, doctors, x-rays, etc., help us prove your case. With any of these, the judge will more easily see that you deserve to be protected and will avoid the possibility of not being believed at court. We understand that most abusers are not pure evil, just as most abuse victims may be less than perfect. We know that you may still be emotionally attached to the abuser despite the harm. We help you get to right relief so there can be a safe end to the cycle of anger, violence, apologies, anger, violence, apologies.
Perhaps substance abuse or mental illness is partially causing your abuser to become violent or to harass you. If you have any proof of why the abuser does what he or she does, we will use that in court to obtain orders for rehabilitative steps such as court-ordered anger management, drug or alcohol testing, 12-step programs, or even a psychological evaluation, depending on your case.
As part of the restraining order process, our clients are often granted:
- Visitation monitors
- Child protection
- Stay away orders
- Non-harassment orders
- Property protection
- School or work protection
- Kick-out orders
- Exclusive use of vehicles
- Gun removal
- Anti-stalking orders
- Pet protection
Restraining Order Process
If you have not already received one while representing yourself, we will first seek a temporary restraining order from an abusive spouse, intimate partner, or domestic partner with little or no notice to the abuser, depending on the facts. Our track record of successes in obtaining permanent restraining orders is based on our solid use of evidence, and our ability to prove your case. A permanent restraining order may be granted for a period of time the judge determines is necessary, usually from one to five years, subject to possible renewal. Our Pasadena family lawyers will be with you for both the temporary and the permanent restraining order phases.
Gille Kaye Law Group, PC can help:
- Guide you on what facts are most important to present, filling out paperwork, and helping you write your declaration using all of your evidence and witnesses
- Determine when you can safely have a "no-notice" preliminary hearing
- Submit papers and argue your case at the Domestic Violence Restraining Order hearing
- Serve the abuser if he or she was not at the preliminary hearing
- Guide you on interim steps such as retrieving belongings
- Conduct discovery to obtain evidence
- Wait for, and often prepare, the Orders given by the judge
- Assist in obtaining any therapy or courses, testing, evaluations, child-visitation monitors, etc., that will be necessary after the restraining orders are issued
- Ensure that the restraining orders become part of any divorce or custody orders
Take Action to Protect Your Family
Keep yourself and your children safe until you obtain court orders. Once we start your case we will be there to help through the entire process. We help you file a restraining order and assist you in holding the abuser accountable for his or her actions in divorce cases, intimate partner cases, domestic partnerships, family members abuse, and former dating relationships. Team up with experienced family law attorneys in Pasadena today for help.
Call Gille Kaye Law Group, PC today at (626) 340-0955 for help in your domestic violence case.